Tuesday 8 October 2013

my first try at sculpting a full miniature!

so i've kinda been training myself up of recent. little bits and bobs here and there. all the heroquest furniture, researching, watching and reading every tutorial i possibly could. because quite simply i want to learn to sculpt my own figures. for about a year now i have been trialling techniques and such. back and forth.
and in the last week i decided to finally bite the bullet and got for my first full sculpt.
now as i'm doing my best to create my own ultimate heroquest edition. it made sense i did the heroes too.

so please take a look at my first ever try. of course i'm happy with it or else i would'nt of posted it (but then i do like to post my failings too so other can learn like i have)
theres still a little tidying up to do. and the axe hand is only pinned and not fixed yet.

but ive tried lots of teqniques and i would say for my first 'animate' 'organic' whatever you want to call it miniature....im pretty chuffed! :)

of course its my take on the heroquest dwarf. and i cant wait to paint it! yay!

6 comments:

  1. Every now and then I do a quick search to see if I can find anyone doing something interesting that's Hero Quest related. I was thrilled to find your site a few weeks ago.

    In this particular case I wanted to take a moment to congratulate you on your first sculpt. Your dedication to modelling really shows and has paid off. This is an incredible first attempt. I can tell by looking that you'll surpass the few critiques I could offer in the very near future.

    And just so you know I actually know what I'm talking about: www.masonstudios.com

    Can't wait to see your next project.
    -Tom Mason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks. their are some great creators out there that i find very inspiring. of which i took a look at your youtube tutorials. also incredibly inspiring due to peoples lack of wanting to share when it comes to sculpting i find. but yeh thanks very much for the kind words. its much appreciated. but as mentioned below i think i got lucky with my dwarf. i think the best test will be creating humans. as dwarfs dont have a familiar shape, certain anatomy can be disguised. with humans. if the arm is even 1mm too long from elbow to wrist. i believe it will stand out like a sore thumb...or arm !! hehe

      Delete
  2. Just came across your blog, really great stuff here. I've been mentally reconstructing WQ for a while now, so it's really nice to see your progress on Heroquest. Brilliant job on the Dwarf too... I really wouldn't have guessed that it was a first attempt at a full figure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks very much for the kind words..i did the whole mentally making thing for ages. you should go for it. it will keep you going for a good 10 years! hehe. again thanks very much, now i have to own up as much as this is my first ever full sculpt i have been practicing with the furniture ive been building recently trying to hone my lack of skills into something i feel can tackle a full figure..personally i think i got lucky on the dwarf.

      Delete
  3. Hi, As a heroquest fan, I tried to get a copy of your dwarf from Zealot Minis, but they have no stock ?
    If you can supply one, let me know, or indeed any other dwarves you may have ?
    Could you tell me the name of the sculptor, or his non-de-plume, as I would like to display him on my site Stunties.com
    My email address is stunties@ntlworld.com please advise..... cheers Kev .... www.stunties.com ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i no longer have the master for that dwarf. that being said i am the sculptor. im sure if you dropped a email over at zealot they would cast a few more. same goes for the elf and wizard.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.